EARTH SCIENCE LAB
Stream and Mass Wasting Field Trip
The purpose of this lab is to look at the various stream morphologic and mass wasting features that are found on the campus of Black Hawk College. The field trip will last the full lab period. This field trip will be conducted no matter the weather conditions. If it is snowing or cold, dress warmly. If it is rainy and windy, dress in raingear. The only thing that will stop the field trip is a tornado - and that will only stop us until the tornado passes and then we will go out and look at the damage! In either case, conditions along the path of the field trip can be muddy. Wear appropriate foot gear, as we will not be staying on the sidewalks or roads. The lab will meet at its regular time, but will gather at the west end of Parking Lot #4. The diagram below shows the starting point of the field trip, the path that will be taken, and the stops that will be made.
By the end of the field trip you should be able to answer the following questions. You should bring something to write with, and something to write on during the field trip. The space provided below is not sufficient to answer these questions. Also, the question numbers do not correspond to the stop numbers. This material will be covered on the Lab Practical.
1. What are the forms of mass wasting that are occurring on BHC campus?
2. How do these forms of mass wasting operate?
3. What are the various stream morphologic features seen on campus?
4. What is the difference between a temporary base level and ultimate base level?
5. What is the ultimate base level for the stream on campus?
6. What is causing the formation of temporary base levels on campus?
7. What types of stream valleys are present on campus and how are they related to base level?
8. How has construction of the 34th Ave. bridge and beneath Building 4 altered the flow regime of the stream?
9. How is the stream system on campus related to the Rock River and Rock River Valley?
10. How is the Rock River stream system related to the Mississippi River stream system?